In a recent article I found for this week's poetry news, poet Katy Lederer provides an indispensable book-list of books on poetry:
- Language of Inquiry by Lyn Hejinian (for a philosoph ical dismantling of poetic language and practice)
- Attack of the Difficult Poems by Charles Bernstein (for a philosophical dismantling of poetic language and practice that's funny)
- Ordinary Genius by Kim Addonizio (for writing exercises)
- Real Sofistikashun by Tony Hoagland (for a survey of mainstream American poetry)
- Beautiful and Pointless by David Orr (for a survey of mainstream American poetry that's funny)
- Poetry Home Repair Manual by Ted Kooser (for analytical exercises with personal narrative)
That should be a good syllabus for winter's reading.