Poetry headlines in the news
- How Did Poetry Survive: Interview with University of Illinois professor John Timberman Newcomb about his new book How Did Poetry Survive, with such questions answered as "In 1850," you write, "poetry was the central genre of American literary culture. Fifty years later it was widely viewed as a mawkish refuge for dilettantes and sentimentalists." What was the cause of this seismic shift? and You mention "poetry's current disciplinary crisis in the American academy." What is the nature of this crisis?
- Zen Zuby rejuvenates Urdu poets on canvas
- Q&A with Johannesburg poet Quaz
- Wall Street Journal: A Plea for More Poetry on Golf Balls
Poetry association and guild contests are booming for some reason.
- Oregon Poetry Association Fall Poetry Contest: http://www.oregonpoets.org/contests
- Tallahassee Writers Association Contest: http://www.twaonline.org
- Springfield Writers Guild 19th Annual Literary Awards: http://springfieldwritersguild.org/contests.html
- Alligator Juniper Contest: http://www.prescott.edu/experience/publications/alligatorjuniper/writing-contest-guidelines.html